Android smartphone manufacturers are often criticized for poor software support for their devices. One of those who has been trying to change this in recent years is South Korean society Samsung. According to the portal SamMobile has now extended the warranty on safety updates for selected models to a record 4 years.
After system updates, Samsung extends the warranty for security updates
Manufacturers provide a two-year system update warranty and a three-year security update warranty as standard for their smartphones. And often only in the case of more expensive or even just flagship models. Samsung announced a year ago that it will provide up to three major Android updates for its flagship and select mid-range models.
The company announced today that it is also extending the warranty for security updates by one year. These are standardly issued in either monthly or quarterly cycles, depending on the price of the specific device.
However, this change only applies to selected Galaxy models that have been on the market since 2019. Of course, this includes the Galaxy Z folding smartphones and the flagships of the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note series, respectively. Surprisingly, the list also includes mid-range models of the Galaxy A series, Galaxy M, Galaxy XCover and Galaxy Tab tablets.
Complete list of devices that receive a four-year security update guarantee:
- Folding smartphones : Fold, Fold 5G, Z Fold2, Z Fold2 5G, Z Flip, Z Flip 5G
- Serious Galaxy S: S10, S10+, S10e, S10 5G, S10 Lite, S20, S20 5G, S20+, S20+ 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S21 5G, S21+ 5G, S21 Ultra 5G
- Serious Galaxy Note: Note10, Note10 5G, Note10+, Note10+ 5G, Note10 Lite, Note20, Note20 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 Ultra 5G
- Serious Galaxy A: A10, A10e, A10s, A20, A20s, A30, A30s, A40, A50, A50s, A60, A70, A70s, A80, A90 5G, A11, A21, A21s, A31, A41, A51, A51 5G, A71, A71 5G, A02s, A12, A32 5G, A42 5G
- Serious Galaxy M: M10s, M20, M30, M30s, M40, M11, M12, M21, M31, M31s, M51
- Serious Galaxy XCover: XCover4s, XCover FieldPro, XCover Pro
- Tablety Galaxy Tab: Tab Active Pro, Tab Active3, Tab A 8 (2019), Tab A with S Pen, Tab A 8.4 (2020), Tab A7, Tab S5e, Tab S6, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 Lite, Tab S7, Tab S7+
Smart Bank 2020: Is it possible to save and invest directly in a smartphone?
Want to get the latest update info for your Android? Enter the name of the device and we will send you a new article directly to your email.