Have you given your phone number on TikTok but you are not going to use that phone number in the future? This might be one of the reasons why you might want to change your phone number on TikTok. Whatever be the reason, changing your phone number on TikTok is pretty simple and straightforward. Just follow all the steps given in this article and you are done. It’s that simple. You should note that you will need to have access to the messages sent on both your old and new phone numbers. This is because, during this process of changing the phone number on TikTok, you will be asked to verify that both the phone numbers are yours. So, you should keep this thing in mind before you proceed to follow the steps mentioned here.
See also: How to change the username on TikTok
- First of all, on your smartphone, the TikTok app needs to be opened.
- Now, go to the profile section of the app. For that, tap on the profile icon which you will find in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- When you reach the profile section of the app, tap on the three-dots icon. You will find it in the top right corner of the screen.
- When you have done this much, you will be able to see a new page (named ‘privacy and settings’) on the app screen. Here, there will be a lot of options in a list that are sub-categorized under different categories. From these categories, under the category named ‘account’, tap on the ‘manage my account’ option.
- Next, tap on the ‘phone number’ option displayed on the app screen.
- You should now see that a dialog box titled ‘Verify phone number’ has appeared on the app screen. You should also see the old phone number whose last few digits are being displayed there.
- What you need to do now is tap on the ‘send code’ option. What this will do is send a one-time password (OTP) on the phone number which was being displayed earlier in the dialog box.
- You need to have access to the messages coming to the old phone number to proceed further.
- So, get the OTP sent on the old phone number and type it in the space provided for OTP on the app screen. In case you did not receive the OTP, try resending the OTP.
- Tap the button to verify this OTP. This verification is important to prove that this is your account only.
- If the verification was successful, then only you will be able to proceed further.
- After successful verification, you will be asked to mention your new phone number. Type it in the appropriate edit box and tap the ‘verify’ button.
- Now, an OTP will be sent to the new phone number.
- Enter this OTP and tap the button to verify.
- If this verification is successful too, then your TikTok phone number will be changed.
App and smartphone required
You need to have the TikTok app installed on your smartphone to be able to change your phone number on TikTok. If you do not have the TikTok app, then you need to download and install it before you follow the steps mentioned in this article. If you use an Android smartphone, then you will have to download and install the TikTok app from the Google Play Store while if you use an iOS smartphone, then you will have to go to the Apple App Store to download and install the TikTok app. Also, you need to have a smartphone having any one of the following operating systems:
- Android 4.1 or higher
- iOS 9.3 or higher
Points to note:
- You can unlink your phone number from TikTok if you want too.
- If you are creating a new account on TikTok, then you can create it using your email address only. There is no need to link your phone number too.
- If you have not added your phone number yet to TikTok, there is no need to do so if you do not want to.